Thursday, November 10, 2016

Vidya Gaemz

The year was 1999, I was eight years old, and it was bedtime. My dad was tucking in the sheets when he mentioned "at work we're making a new game console." I had no idea what he was talking about. 

"What is a console?" I asked.

"It's like a new Nintendo." He explained.

My eyes lit up. Instead of demanding the usual bedtime story I unleashed a barrage of questions. I was practically obsessed with my Nintendo 64 and it seemed almost too good to be true that my dad was helping make the next one.

He was talking about the Xbox.My family moved to the Seattle area when my dad took a job at Microsoft in 1995. He opted to join the Xbox team a few years later even when most of his coworkers thought it was a doomed project. He is especially skilled in 3D graphics programming and turns out they use quite a bit of that in vidya gaemz.



Over the next few years I fell in love with not only the Xbox but video games in general. I always held several gaming magazine subscriptions. Every weekend was spent playing Halo split screen with my friends. I was hooked.

Video games are still my passion today. I own a Wii U, Xbox One, and Playstation 4. I'd like to build a high end gaming PC one day. My life changed that night when my dad tucked me into bed.

Why am I sharing this? I honestly think video games are a huge reason why I am interested in programming and learning how to code. Ever since I was little I wondered how developers could bring these characters and stories to life by writing lines of code. 

I've heard discouraging accounts of what it is like to work in the video game industry as a developer and because of that I'm not necessarily interested in pursuing a career there per se. I do have tremendous respect for those who do follow their passion and put in the work to make it happen. I've always looked up to my dad for the really cool work he put in on both the original Xbox and Xbox 360.

How have video games or other forms of media influenced your decision to learn how to code or eventually become a developer? Do any readers currently work in the video games industry? Tell us what it is like.

Thank you vidya gaemz for helping inspire me to learn how to code.








No comments:

Post a Comment