Friday, November 18, 2016

Playing around with ASP.NET

I am an aspiring web developer. The last several months I've been learning C# and working my way around the .NET framework in order to get promoted to work as an automation engineer.

Turns out I can get going on the web stuff with my newfound C# skillz! Visual Studio is an excellent tool that isn't very hard to learn and it turns out ASP is built right into it to churn out quality websites.

For those not familiar with ASP.NET let me tell you what it is. It is an open source and server-side web application framework. It is designed for web development and you can make a wide variety of web pages/applications with the various frameworks. This solution comes from Microsoft.

My limited experience learning ASP.NET helped me realize something important. Web development, and development in general often involves taking a framework, adding your components, and tweaking the things that are already there. 

I've often envisioned software development starting out by staring down an empty IDE and building something from scratch. I'm sure many successful projects start out that way. But the many tools at our disposal often build out common parts of our application so we don't have to. Kinda cool!

While building a website I knew that I'd like to give users the ability to create their own accounts with an email and a password. Not only that, I wanted to add an email verification step to the registration process. Turns out all of that is already built into ASP.NET!

MSDN has a lot of resources to help you get up and running. Although a lot of tools are offered, there is a great deal of flexibility in how you would like to build out your web app. Do you want two-step verification? What methods do you want to provide a user to recover their account in case they forget their password?

I'll share the website on here when I'm happy with it. For now, let me drop some of the resources I've been using.




These are all straight from the source. MSDN is an excellent resource for everything in the .NET framework.

No comments:

Post a Comment